Discipline and focus allow for effective learning and adaptability in flow. If not for the discipline and structure then focus is scattered. There is then a lack of awareness and therefore inability to adapt, flow and grow efficiently in practice.
The discipline and structure should be aligned accordingly in order to learn the next step and movement. The adaptability that comes with it allows for necessary training and new things to be learnt with the awareness to apply where most appropriate.
If the ego or prior knowledge gets in the way then there is lack of awareness and an inability to adapt and learn effectively.
Without sufficient respect for the teacher/ mentor nothing can actually be learnt. Because of this the whole mind should be emptied and full awareness applied each and every time one is being taught.
The teachers knowledge is rightly far beyond what the student knows, therefore full awareness, discipline, respect and focus is always required.
– Emptying your cup allows for full focus
– Self discipline is essential in order to learn and execute fully
– Without full focus one cannot learn and execute fully
– With full focus can adapt accordingly- when something is not working then have the awareness to change it. To be like water, adapt and flow.
– Discipline also shows respect to the art and teacher, also clearing the mind allowing for learning.